Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Prone to Wander

Trust in the Lord with all your heart and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him and He will make straight your paths. -Proverbs 3:5-6
This verse is one that God has used powerfully in my life since I began my walk with Him in high school, and it becomes dearer to me as time goes by. One of the most prominent and recurring sins in my life, one I have to die to daily, is my tendency to depend upon my own strength and wisdom (or lack thereof) rather than the Lord's. This has caused me unnecessary grief and axiety in the past. The Lord is gracious, however, and has been teaching me dependence on and trust in Him. Though the lesson has not been especially pleasant, I know that the result will be to my benefit and His glory for at "the moment all discipline seems painful rather than pleasant, but later it yields the peaceful fruit of righteousness to those who have been trained by it" (Hebrews 12:11). The Lord has been reminding me of Proverbs 3:5-6 quite a bit lately and boy do I need it. There are several situations in my life that I have been trying to take into my own hands...as if I have the means and ability to control them. How foolish I can be!
Lord God, I trust you with all of me. I do not know what lies ahead but I know that you are in control. Give me strength to rest in that truth and bring glory to Yourself as you light the path before me and I walk obediently in it. In Jesus' Name, Amen.

No comments: