Tuesday, January 22, 2008

The Power of the Word

I woke up this morning to a lovely dusting of snow on the ground. I think this makes for the 3rd one this year. It makes all this nasty cold weather worth while. :)

I had a wonderful weekend at home. I didn't do anything terribly exciting...just hung out with people I care about. I was also able to take care of a few items of business which consisted of closing down my Fredericktown bank account (which was long over due seeing I haven't touched it in years), grabbing some of my childhood books for tutoring, and letting my dad look at my car (he drained out the old power steering fluid and replaced it with fresh fluid as a precautionary measure). On Sunday, of course, I went to my home church which was a blessing as usual. I had planned on going to check out the new AV campus, but changed my mind when my sister told me that our pastor was still aking people to wait. In turns out that I got to experience the multi-site "feel" anyway because both campuses Sunday morning watched the sermon via the screen. I will have to admit that I was prepared for this in advance. I had had a dream last week that I went to the AV campus and my pastor was there. This dream almost came true: he was there, but I wasn't. Anyway, after the first initial minutes of getting used to the idea of not having my pastor in person giving the sermon, my focus shifted to the message (which it needed to be). The message was very good. Through it God reminded me of all that He has forgiven for and still is forgiving me of...especially of self-sufficiency, something that He has been especially working on in my life lately. I was also convicted of not loving deeply and challendged to "love out of my comfort zone." I rarely open myself up to others which prevents my relationships from growing as deep as they could. What really stood out to me during the service was that even though the message was not "live," God still used it in a powerful way in my life and, I am sure, in the lives of others. I was reminded again, that the service is about the Lord, not the messenger or the presentation or the package the message comes in or anything else we may be apt to focus on...just the Lord Jesus Christ. He promises His Word will not return to Him void, but will accomplish all He intends (Isaiah 55:11). How glorious He is!
I was also reminded about this truth as I listened to some sermons in my car (5 to be exact). For some reason I had such a hunger to hear His truth preached in my ears. I listened to the 2 messages I have from Passion '07 and 3 from my home church. All of which God used to speak to me in fresh ways even though I have heard them all at least once before. Once again Isaiah 55:11. I thoroughly enjoy those long extended trips in the car...just me and the Lord and the open road. :)

School begins on Monday, the 28th. I have been off for almost 2 months. I think I am ready for it to begin...

No comments: