Wednesday, February 6, 2008

When it Rains it Pours

The weather has been rather interesting and dangerous lately. The warm temperatures have indeed been a blessing but they haven't come without price as tornadoes and strong thunderstorm littered the area last night and earlier this afternoon. The warm weather can stay, as far as I am concerned though, until next winter. :)

Today, as I was walking into Friendship International in the rain, I couldn't help but notice the birds chirping away as if the sun was brightly shining. They were singing their praises to God despite the gloom. I could learn from them. This week has been gloomy for me. As most of you know, finances have been extremely tight since I moved to Louisville last August. The Lord has been stretching and testing my faith for many months now in that regard and I am becoming very weary. The latest situation that has added to the financial stress and pressure has come once again in the form of my car (I am almost sure that God is using my car for my sanctification). The fuel pump went out of Monday and until today it has been sitting in the Wal-Mart parking lot. I know you won't believe this when I say it but my car really is a good and dependable car; just of late has it been acting up...of course, when I have no money. Anyway, the first mechanic I called wanted to charge $212 just for labor. I am told this is the going rate. I think it is outrageous, but I guess I am just spoiled by the fact that my dad and uncle always used to work on my car for free. My pastor's wife from Rolling Fields called me yesterday and referred me to a mechanic at our church. He looked at my car today, tapped the fuel tank to "jump" the fuel pump to get it running, and it now sitting in his garage. Although he is not going to charge the "normal" amount for labor, it is still more than I can afford, but I need my car so whatcha gonna do? In the meantime, I am sporting a gray Honda thanks to my wonderful roommate (who has the flu so please pray for her).

I know this all probably sounds so petty. There are lots of people in the world who are in way more difficult circumstances than I am...yet I feel such despair. The months of financial stress are wearing on me and I am beginning to lose hope. I am not one to cry much, but I have shed more tears through all this as I cry out to God than any other time in my life. "How long, o Lord? Will you forget me forever?" (Psalm 13:1).
Hear the words of Jesus: "O my servant true; Thou are very weary; I was weary too; But that toil shall make thee some day all mine own, and the end of sorrow shall be near my throne." -John Mason Neale from the hymn "Christian, Does Thou See Them?"
On a brighter note: the Lord has presented me with three potential opportunities to meet with international woman in the Louisville area who want to learn more about Jesus and the Bible and/or improve their English. One is a Hindu from India, another is a Catholic from Columbia, and the third is an atheist from China. Praise the Lord who is working in their hearts! I am so humbled and thankful for the opportunities. Please pray for each of these ladies, for these opportunties to bear fruit, and for me--that the Holy Spirit would guide and direct my interaction with each of them. Only the Lord Jesus Christ can open blind eyes to His infinite beauty and worth. Please pray that He will do just that.

No comments: