Saturday, September 29, 2007

Valley of Darkness

Before I get into my main reason for writing, let me first share that Sarah and I ate at the restaurant in Bass Pro today. We split an appetizer sampler which included shrimp, crab cakes, and...(drum roll please)...alligator. The alligator was interesting. It didn't taste bad but it was very tough meat. I get annoyed with things I have to chew a long time so I will have to say that it was not my favorite. Great experience though, plus we got to explore the store. :)

Before that adventure, though, Sarah and I attended Pagan Day in downtown Louisville. We got there rather late because of our inability to find the place (the workings of the devil I presume). It was a small festival containing booths for different cultic beliefs. Early in the day they had workshops and dances and stuff like that. The further we walked into the festival, the more I could feel the darkness. I have never actually felt the difference between spiritual light and darkness like that before. I grabbed a few brochures to learn what these people believed. God gave me the opportunity to engage with one young man who was part of Babalon Rising. From what he told me this is what he believed: he believes in the book of the law (no, not the Old Testament); that when we die, we decompse and are absorbed into the earth and then grow into a tree or the like; he doesn't believe in God, heaven, or hell; he believes in discovering "the will" which is our purpose in life (which I was informed is a life-long process). Oh how my heart aches for him! He is not firmly rooted in this belief. Please join me in praying for Ken daily that he may see the light of Christ. Someone else in his booth asked me about my beliefs. I told them I was a Christian, that it is only through God that I know my purpose for living, and gave a brief presentation of the gospel. They each person's beliefs are true for that person (i.e. if you believe in heaven then there is a heaven). He is so deceived and the longer he pursues this belief system the further into darkness he will travel. Please pray that Christ will shine His light in Ken's heart so that he may know the truth and be set free (John 8:32).

Also, please pray for a couple named Darron and Sharon who we also met at Pagan Day. Sarah was able to talk with them briefly but they were in a hurry to leave since the festival was almost over. They seemed very rooted in their beliefs. Darron spent the majority of the conversation trying to convince us that pagans and Christians were not that much different, just what he called a few "minor" differences.

No comments: