Monday, September 10, 2007

Settling In

God is more gracious to me than I could ever deserve. Adjusting from being away from home has went very well. I think it is God's way of reassuring me that this is where I am supposed to be. This may sound silly but sometimes I feel guilty for not being homesick. I am very thankful than I am not though. I love the area I am living in (Jeffersonville, IN). Even though it is 7 times bigger than my hometown (Fredericktown, MO), it reminds me of it. Plus--I am about to say something I never thought I would say before--I love school. I am learning so much. My favorite thing so far, however, has been hanging out with those who have served in different areas of the world and are now staying on campus.

I have so much to be thankful for. I accepted a job at St. Jude's Children Research Hospital in New Albany, IN as a Volunteer Service Representative. I don't know how much I am going to enjoy soliciting businesses to do fundraisers, but I trust God will grow me through it and somehow use me to glorify Him. I have narrowed my church search down to two churches. I am pretty sure I know the one I am going to join but I am going to continue to pray for guidance and confirmation. I want to be where God wants me to be. I want to make sure I choose a church from unselfish and pure motives. The two churches I am looking are both growing churches and have plenty opportunities to serve. I want to be a blessing to wherever I go and be able to serve the community where I reside. I am very excited to be done with "church hunting."

Speaking of churches, I am reading a book called Discipled Warriors: Growing Healthy Churches that are Equipped for Spiritual Warfare for my Church Growth and Evangelism class. I really like this book and I am discovering that I have a heart for church growth. When I hear or read about stagnant, dead, or shallow churches, my heart just breaks. As I read about what a healthy church looks like and how it mirrors my home chuch, tears just streamed down my face. I am so thankful and humbled that God allowed me and my sister to be a part of Meadow Heights. I pray that He continues to use them for His glory and that He will raise up more healthy churches all over the world.

I have been making a real effort lately to meet new people. I have been going to different events on campus and seeking opportunities to share my faith. Those of you who know me well, know that this is so not like me. I am trying to come out of my shell a little and God has burdened my heart to spread His word (which is rather exciting). Last Friday night I met up with a seven guys and two girls from Southern/Boyce who I barely knew to go downtown to do street evangelism. We split up into groups of three and walked the streets looking for people we could talk to. I kept quiet most of the night observing and prayed for my group members who were sharing the Gospel. I have never experienced anything like this before. I pray God gives me boldness to be more vocal the next time I go.

Yesterday I went downtown with Sarah and Carol to India Day. We ate Indian food (I had Chicken something Mansala, yum), listen to Indian music, looked at their booths filled with jewelry, info, and the like, and got Hennas. My Henna is on my left hand and I love it.


There are a few traffic-related things that I have noticed that are different between the STL and Louisville. Namely Louisville has a Red arrow on the stoplights for the turn signal while St. Louis just as the Red circle. Also, the crosswalk signal in Louisville counts down to let you know when it is going to change to the don't cross signal which I thought was cool. It's the little things in life. :)

Don't be jealous but this Tuesday I am going to a Cardinals game at the Great American Ballpark in Cincinnati. I am so excited! I haven't been to a ballgame all year! Sarah, Melissa, and I are going to make our own shirts. It's sad I don't own any Cardinals apparel after living in St. Louis for 5 years, I know. What can I say, I am cheap. ;)

Oh, for those of you who don't know: my sister has a boyfriend. :)

One final thought: The danger for forest fires is high.

No comments: