Thursday, October 25, 2007

Shadow of the Almighty

I just finished a wonderful book about the life of Jim Elliot. This book was very edifying for me and, at times, personal. I could relate to many of Jim's desires and struggles. He wanted so much to know God and be consumed by Him and to live a life that reflected Christ. The book is composed entirely of his journal entries and the letters he wrote to his family and friends. It is an awesome look into the heart and mind of a very godly man. I long for a heart that is as consumed by God as his was...I want and pray for God to be my sole satisfaction.

I cannot, however, forget the work that God has already done in me. I am a living product of God's grace. This semester God has caused me to realize the love He has given me for the local church and healthy church growth. This is a wonder in itself since before I accepted Christ six years ago, I wanted nothing to do with church. Even after I became a Christian, God worked on me for several years to make me understand the importance and necessity of the local church. Now the mystery of the church tugs forcefully at my heart. This quote is taken from my lecture notes in Dr. Lawless's Evangelism and Church Growth class: "Legitimate church growth recognizes that the church, by its very nature, is not only an organization to grow—it is a divinely established mystery to behold. Our responsibility is to understand that the church is something beyond us. God somehow puts His divinely local bodies together to carry out His plan. We are divinely privileged to be a part of the church. Don’t ever get over the church. It is in our unity that the world knows that the Father sent the Son."

God has also developed in me an interest in Eastern Europe, particularly Russia and Romania. I am not sure what that means or how that will play out in the future, but I am at the Lord's disposal.

Side note: I have had four job interviews over the past week. They all went well. I am praying for direction...His will be done.

No comments: