Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Shifting Interests

It has been raining all day today and little rivers are forming in places where there used to be none. It is wet and damp, but the promise of spring still hangs like a light in the dark skies. It is already March and even though 2011 is quickly passing, the winter has seemed rather long. I am looking forward to warm, sunny days, extended daylight and to storing my winter coat. :)

The lessons from the Lord continue to be many. He has been shifting my priorities and interest and refocusing my attention on what really matters - HIM. One of my goals of the new year was to focus in on particular relationships and ministries. The Lord has helped me to do just that as one of the ministry leads I was following at RF fell through and the other outside ministry opened wide. Both ministries were more time consuming that I originally realized, so the Lord is so gracious in removing one so that I can focus more on the other. He truly does help us in our weaknesses (over-committing). He has done the same in my relationships as well. There are three people in particular that I consistently spend time with on a weekly basis and they are the ones that get priority with my time.

The way I spend my time is also getting an overhaul. I have been spending less time on the computer (hence the long silence since the last post) and more time with the Lord, with people and with books. I am currently reading two books right now: Radical by David Platt and Not for Sale by David Batstone. Both books have been extremely challenging and powerful. The first has made me reconsider how I spend my time and the priority I give Christ in my life. I do not seek Him as I should or desire Him as I should and my constant prayer is that my love for Him and satisfaction in Him would grow. The Lord has been so gracious to begin answering that prayer by turning my thoughts toward Him and by helping me to seek His Kingdom above all else  (Matthew 6:33). As I grow in my relationship with Christ, I am find that other things that I used to desire or be interested in no longer hold sway. For instance, I used to be a pretty die-hard NASCAR fan. I was faithful to watch the race every week, was upset if I was not able to and my day was determined by how well my driver did. I also watched all the pre- and post-race shows and some of the other shows throughout the week. I knew every driver and number and who were in the top 10 in points. I would even skip church-related activities so I wouldn't miss a race. I had it bad. BUT, over time, as I grew in and fell more in love with Christ and He gave me His desires, my interest in racing slowly faded. Before this past Daytona 500, I couldn't tell you the last time I had watched a NASCAR race. I can't even tell you what car my favorite driver drives. Now, don't get me wrong, I could still sit down and enjoy a race, but not with the same interest, intensity or concern. It's just not that important to me anymore, which I think is a good thing. It, hopefully, means that I am growing and maturing and becoming more like Jesus and that I am focused on what really matters.
Indeed, I count everything as loss because of the surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord. For His sake I have suffered the loss of all things and count them as rubbish, in order that I main gain Christ and be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own that comes from the law, but that which comes through faith in Christ, the righteousness of God that depends of faith - that I may know Him and the power of His resurrection, and may share in His sufferings, becoming like Him in His death, that by any means possible I may attain the resurrection from the dead. Philippians 3:8-11

No comments: