Thursday, March 31, 2011

Relaxing and Reminiscing

I had a wonderful, relaxing time in Missouri last weekend. Exactly what I had asked God for (minus the snow :). It was nice to get away and just chill for a few days and spend time with family. We didn't do anything much, but we did laugh a whole lot. :) My dad read to my sister and me from her Kindle. He read the end of Pilgrim's Progress. It is the first time I can remember him reading a book to us and it's one of those moments I will treasure.

While I was home, I was going through my filing cabinet and ran across a notebook from college. It in I found sermon notes, prayers and inspiring quotes. I even found a list for my ideal mate, which was pretty amusing. It had 27 things (!), which I am sure would be pretty intimidating for any guy. The Lord has brought me a long way since then, though, and now I only have 2 things on my "list" (both of which are pretty specific and neither of which I will budge on). One of the prayers was a response to the reading I had just done in Acts 6-7:
Verse that spoke to me: 7:3
"Get thee out of thy country (America), and from thy relatives (family), and come into the land which I shall show thee."
Is this not my future? For God has called me to something bigger than myself and my present lifestyle.
Use me as You please, Lord Jesus.
I believe that the Lord is continually answering this prayer.

I also got to spend some extra time with the Lord - reflecting on what He has done and is doing in my life, spending time in His Word and submitting myself to do whatever He leads. He continues to teach me about prayer and depending on Him (which goes hand-in-hand). I think I am in a period of preparation for whatever God has in store. Much of the verses, sermons and the like that Jesus sends my way have to do with waiting on Him, staying on the right path and hearing His voice. It is no wonder that the Bible exhorts Christ-followers to be strong and courageous as we wait on the Lord (Psalm 27:14). It's hard to wait!

I have started re-reading Elisabeth Elliot's Shadow of the Almighty: The Life and Testament of Jim Elliot. It is one of my favorite books and for some reason Jim Elliot has been on my mind lately. I did just read Psalm 91 last night, which may have something to do with it (where the title of the book comes from). He is one of my heroes in the faith. His life is one that encourages, inspires and challenges me...and I hope my life reflects a desire for Christ and impacts the Kingdom of Christ the way his did (and still does).

No comments: