Tuesday, April 5, 2011

The Discipline of Dependence

I wrote this poem three years ago and ran across it this evening, so I thought I'd share:
Reaching for the Prize,
it seems so far away
Longing for the eternal,
but caught up in the day 
Oh these wayward thoughts,
why do they afflict me so?
Lord, give me strength to focus
on You, on You alone 
The beauty and worth of Christ,
Father give me eyes to see
That I may find my Satisfaction
and be brought to my knees 
All day long I try to plan
how things are to be
What a foolish child I am
to think that power lies in me 
"Trust in Me," I hear you say,
"for I alone am wise."
Yet I feel myself resist
and foolish pride arise 
Holy Spirit, come and teach me
how to step in time with You
Light the path before me
and give me hope anew 
The discipline of dependence,
how difficult to learn
Yet I know it is needed
and for its fruit I yearn 
Soon I will see my Savior,
in His presence, face-to-face
Then all the struggles of the flesh
will have no hold or place

No comments: