Thursday, January 8, 2009

Proving My Words

This past year, the Lord has taught me so much in regards to His faithfulness and provision and my rebelliousness and need for Him. One thing the Lord has been teaching me specifically, especially over the last month or so, is His sovereignty over my checkbook. While it is easy to live by the numbers recorded in my register, I have learned to trust God instead. When my balance drops in the low single digits, I know that I have no need to worry because the Lord will provide in some way--a babysitting or dogsitting opportunity, extra hours at work, a generous gift from a family member or friend, etc. I am always so amazed at the ways He chooses to meet my needs. I always have just enough...and for that I am so thankful.
When I was home for Thanksgiving, my dad brought up the importance of money in our lives. He told me that money was our strength and then whipped out some Bible verse to support his view. I told him I didn't agree with him and asserted that Jesus was my Strength, not money. The following Sunday, while I was at church, the Lord prompted me to give a significant (to me anyways) sum of money to the Imagine Campaign. When I hesitated, He reminded me of my words ("Jesus is my strength") and in essence told me to prove them. This has happened several times since then. The fact is because of th extra giving, the extra expenses (Christmas, renewed car license & oil change and the like) and missing 2 weeks worth of work because of Thanksgiving & Christmas, I should not have been able to pay rent or my other bills. BUT the wonderful truth is I was able to because my Lord is my Provider. In many ways and through various people, I gave me what I needed. For instance, my roommate and I won the decorating contest at our apartment complex and, as a result, received a discount off of rent. See how gracious the Lord is! He knows my needs and He is faithful to provide.
This is what the Bible has to say in Psalm 52:6-9 about the difference between trusting in God and trusting in riches:

The righteous shall see [God punishing those who don't trust in Him] and fear, and shall laugh at him [the wicked], saying, "See the man who would not make God his refuge, but trusted in the abundance of his riches and sought refuge in his own destruction!"
But I am like a green olive tree in the house of God. I trust in the steadfast
love of God forever and ever. I will thank you forever, because you have done it. I will wait for your name, for it is good, in the presence of the godly.

Jesus is enough.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

AWESOME blog!

It's funny that you're talking about money because we just started the 'How To Be Rich' series at church last week. If you didn't know, you can watch the messages online now. I'd encourage you to check it out. It's pretty amazing!

Matt :)

Melissa said...

I am always amazed at how God provides far more than what I could ever expect, and when I get a little anxious about things because like you money gets short I remember let me not be anxious for anything but instead provide thanksgiving and supplication through prayer to my Father, Sustainer and Provider. And, yes, Jesus is enough. All I need is more of Him and His light in my life.

In Christ's Love,
Melissa