Wednesday, January 28, 2009

It's beginning to look a lot like...Narnia!



So this week was supposed to be the first week of spring semester classes. Not so much. I cannot say I am totally disappointed. I mean, I am looking forward to this semester...but everybody loves them a snow day...or 2 or 3! The seminary is without power and has closed down for the week. Our power went out last night around 3 a.m. and we got it back this evening around 9:00. Praise the Lord!

This extra time off has given me the opportunity to get some reading for the semester done as well as continue the application process for serving overseas next fall. You would think that writing essays about yourself would be easy...but not so much. I have 5 of the 6 completed. The one I am working on now has to do with my spiritual gifts. I am praying through this one. I know the 2 I have for sure, but there are a couple of others I am not sure about. I mean, who I am to say that God has blessed me with more than that?

One of the books I am currently reading is about the KJV Only controversy. It is really interesting and eye-opening. I find it especially interesting because the KJV used to be my translation of choice up until a few years ago when I switched to the ESV. The author has made some really good points about copy errors, similar translation controversies, available manuscripts and textual variants. I think it is amazing the way the Lord has preserved His Word throughout these many years.

Over break, I was able to read 2 books for leisure/pleasure: Dr. Sill's new book (5 out of 5 stars) and The Present Future by Reggie McNeal (3 out of 5 stars). The former is an excellent book for anyone wondering if God has called them to serve Him overseas. The latter is a great book for anyone who is fed up with inner-focused churches. McNeal makes some great points about what he calls the "church club member" mentality. Sometimes he comes off rather negative in his attitude toward church membership and formal training, but I think that is mainly do to his strong passion to see the church be all she is called to be in Christ.

Well, I am off to bed. I didn't get any sleep last night because of the cracking trees so I am looking forward to a morning of sleeping in!

Mmm...hot chocolate!!!

No comments: