Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Immersed in Philosophy

Today was my first day of J-term in Philosophy. It was pretty interesting and my professor is hysterical. We discussed several different worldviews. It amazes me sometimes what people will believe. For instance, he told us about a NY bureacrat who thinks that indicating male or female on a birth certificate is gender oppression. People should be free to "create" their own gender and not be limited to what is on their birth certificate. In other words, biology doesn't matter, be who you want to be. This is one of the most ridiculous things I have ever heard (right up there with we can't know if anything really exists).

My professor said that all worldviews when followed to their logical conclusions lead to one of two ends: nihilism (the belief that nothing exists) or Christianity. I found this pretty interesting.

Also, in my class, there was another person with my last name. We got to talking and discovered we are like 3rd cousins. Small world.

No comments: