Thursday, May 15, 2008

From Martha to Mary

I am so thankful to the Lord to be back safely in my apartment. There were a few times that the rain-drenched road almost got the best of me.

The trip was a blessed one, however. The Lord graciously stirred my heart for Him as I listened to praise music. I am ashamed to admit that I have been very apathetic towards Him lately (which can be seen in my blogs, speech, and attitude). All my fault of course since the Lord is faithful and constant in His relationship to me. Even though I have all this free time to focus on Him, I have chosen to fill it with other less fruitful, less worthy things. How can I choose these things over the beautiful, all-satisfying Lord that gave His life so that I might know Him? I have no acceptable answer. I have not been spending adequate time in the Word or reading books that stir my affections for Him. These are the primary ways that I worship the Lord and, today, the Lord showed me that I need to return to these habits in order to restore our fellowship. Because of my distractedness, I was reminded of the Lord Jesus' words to Martha in Luke 10:41-42: "Martha, Martha, you are anxious and troubled about many things, but one thing is necessary. Mary has chosen the good portion, which will not be taken away from her."

My small group is doing through John Piper's book
Don't Waste Your Life. Recently, we discussed how to make much of Christ with our jobs and how to make others glad in Him in the process. I have been reflecting a lot about this lately. We talked about working in a way that shows Christ to be our supreme Treasure as opposed to status, money, etc. This got me thinking: I have three jobs, what does this reveal about where my treasure is? Does it show that I treasure Christ or money or something else? Am I working three jobs because this is God's way of providing for me or because I am trusting in myself to make ends meet? And if this is how God has determined to provide for me and use me, how can I make Him shine as the supreme Treasure of my life? These are questions that need anwers because I do not want to do anything to dim the light of Christ in my life.

No comments: