Sunday, December 25, 2011

The Day the Beretta Died

One last look at The Z
This is a testimony of the Lord's provision and protection, His sovereignty and grace, and His Fatherly love and care. On Friday, Kristi and I set out for Missouri to spend Christmas with our parents. I had a feeling throughout the day that something was going to happen, but had no idea what (the Lord's kind preparation). I got off work a little early, picked up Kristi, went by Vint for some caffeine and headed West. When we were about 85 miles into the trip, my engine started stumbling. I checked my gauges - everything looked okay. We stopped at a rest stop. I checked the oil - good. The engine continued to stumble when I returned to the highway and then my oil pressure dropped. I pulled over as quickly as possible, but it was too late. The engine had locked up. After ten years and 261,000 miles, the Beretta has been laid to rest.

The Lord is so incredibly gracious as He protected my sister and me as we sat on the side of the interstate for several hours in the middle-of-nowhere, Indiana, trying to figure out how to get back to Louisville and what to do with my non-functional car. Towing back to Louisville, even with Roadside Assistance, was outrageously expensive. My main concern was what to do with my car after I get back to Louisville. It eventually would have to be taken to the junk yard. Even in the midst of this mess, however, the Lord Jesus gave me His perfect peace. I just knew everything was going to be okay. Eventually, we decided to take my sweet friend Katie's offer to come get us (the Lord's provision) and to have my car towed to the rest stop nearby until further plans could be made. I wound up selling my car to the wrecker for a few hundred dollars, thus solving the what-to-do-with-my-car dilemma (Lord's provision). It's surreal to think that one moment I was driving down the road heading to Missouri and, within a few hours, I was on my back to Louisville - without my car.

After we returned to our apartment, my dad called telling me that my grandma, uncle and aunt had decided to let me use my grandma's car until I could get another one (the Lord's provision). Last summer, my grandma was diagnosed with Pastor's Syndrome and she moved down to Texas to live with my aunt, who is a nurse. Her car, however, stayed behind in Missouri and been hanging out in her garage ever since.

Do you see the grace and sovereignty of the Lord in all this? He is my perfect heavenly Father - preparing me for what's ahead and taking care of all my needs - just like He promises. He had every detail under control. He upholds the universe by the word of His power (Hebrews 1:3) and nothing slips past Him.

Last year, I wrote about the bookend events that framed 2010. This year has bookend events as well - though much different in nature. 2011 began when someone broke into my apartment and stole my laptop and it comes to an end with the death of my car.
And he said, "Naked I came from my mother's womb, and naked shall I return. The Lord gave, and the Lord has taken away; blessed be the name of the Lord. Job 1:21

2 comments:

Melissa said...

So sorry Rachel, but thankful that the Lord is pleased to provide in such a great way!

Melissa said...

So sorry Rachel, but thankful that it pleased the Lord to provide in such a wonderful way :)