Friday, June 24, 2011

The Hidden Smile of God

I stole the title of this post from the title of one of John Piper’s books. It is something I have been thinking a lot about lately, as the Lord has hidden His favor and workings from me in such a way that I cannot perceive them…or Him. Yet I know that He is working. Even during this time of pain and silence, He is deepening my belief in His absolute sovereignty and goodness. All things are from His hand - both the good and the bad - and He wants me to use these gifts to make much of Him. These are such deep and rich and sweet theological truths and I know they will prepare me for whatever He has in store for me.


God moves in a mysterious way;
His wonders to perform
He plants His footsteps in the sea
and rides upon the storm.

Deep in unfathomable mines
Of never failing skill
He treasures up His bright designs
And works His sovereign will.

Ye fearful saints, fresh courage take;
The clouds you so much dread
Are big with mercy and shall break
In blessings on your head.

Judge not the Lord by feeble sense,
But trust Him for His grace;
Behind a frowning providence
He hides a smiling face.

His purposes will ripen fast,
Unfolding every hour;
The bud may have a bitter taste,
But sweet will be the flower.

Blind unbelief is sure to err
And scan His work in vain;
God is His own interpreter,
and He will make it plain.

"God Moves in a Mysterious Way" by William Cowper

This weekend, Kristi and I came home to Missouri for our dentist appointments. It turns out, however, that I had the weekends wrong in my head. Our dentist appointments were actually scheduled for next week, not this one. I was so sure that they were on the 23rd that I never even looked at the appointment card that was in my purse. We were on our way to Fredericktown when we figured all this out, so we continued Missouri-bound in faith that we would both still get our teeth cleaned. And we did. Our gracious hygienist worked a little over time in order to work us both in. I am always amazed at the amount of favor that the the Lord gives us with people. The appointment was one of my more painful ones and I received another poor report on my gums. No matter how faithful I am to my teeth and gums, it seems to no avail. I am discouraged. 
How long, O Lord?

No comments: