Sunday, January 2, 2011

Wisdom and Planning in Light of God's Providence

The Lord's lessons are not sporadic. He is the perfect Teacher. I have said this and witnessed this first-hand numerous times. Yet again, I find it to be true. I have this small card with a verse on it that I have used as a bookmark this past year to mark the reading plan I have been using in my Bible. I read it sporadically when I moved the card out of my way, but last night I really read it. The Lord by His Spirit used it to grab my attention and heart. It reads:
Commit to the Lord whatever you do, and all your plans will succeed. Proverbs 16:3
I started thinking about the store where I work and all the dreams that my boss and I have for it. I then thought that this would be a perfect verse for us to use for the business side of the store. Instead of hoping in our own plans and ideas, we should pray over them and commit them to the Lord. Sounds like a no-brainer, right? For some reason, it never occurred to me. Pray for the store, yes. Pray for good sale days, yes. But pray about our marketing, sales and managerial plans...

Anyway, today I worked my first bridal show on behalf of Papers Unique. It was a great way to meet future brides (and potential customers) and network with other businesses. Since I was unable to attend RF this morning due to the show, I went to one of the Sunday night services at Sojourn Community Church. And just what did the sermon "happen" to be about? Wisdom and planning from Proverbs 16. Yep, that's right. I took notes like a mad woman and cannot wait to share them with my boss.

I am a planner by nature so the sermon was good for me on many levels. There are too many times when I trust my own plans instead of submitting them to the Lord and fully trusting Him and His plans. God is in control of all things and all of His plans are good...and much better than my own.
For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope. Jeremiah 29:11
Furthermore, I was reminded of God's amazing grace. His grace covers our mistakes, failed plans and bad decisions. His grace also gives us freedom. We plan by grace. We don't plan under the burden of performance. He gives us freedom to make decisions by following the principles He gives and committing the decisions we make to Him. When we fail, we need not despair because we are living for something more than our own plans - His Kingdom.

I guess that means I need to commit my goals for 2011 to the Lord, huh? :)

By the way, Papers Unique has been nominated again for WHAS11's Best of Kentuckiana in Invitations. Help us keep our title and vote for us by clicking here.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your words, scripture or God speaking through you continue to add encouragment to my life. Amazing grace indeed!