Saturday, January 30, 2010

Getting into the Swing of Things

I arrived in my destined city safely on Monday. I have since then worked at the Center for girls from the slums, went to a local wedding, had local clothes made for me, met lots of people, learned new foreign words and bought food from a few local markets. Today I am ill. I am not sure what is wrong but hopefully it is just a 24-hour thing. I guess I will have to start my goal of getting out of the apartment every day for month to February 1st!

I absolutely adore the girls at the Center! There are roughly 30 of them split between two sessions (morning and afternoon). Their ages range from 5 to 15. At the Center we are able to meet the girls' physical, educational, vocational, minor medical and spiritual needs. These girls are given an opportunity that so few have in this culture simply because they are learning to read and write. I am so excited to be part of a work that seeks to help the whole person!

(Remember how I promised pictures? Well, I am going to have to cancel. They take too long to upload. Sorry to disappoint!)

No comments: