Sunday, January 24, 2010

Orientating to South Asia

I cannot believe that I have been in South Asia for ten days. Today is the last day of orientation. Tomorrow morning I leave for my assigned city. I am looking foward to joining the Father in His work there but sad to leave my new found brothers and sisters. I have had so many new and interesting experiences. Jet lag was almost nonexistent, which I praise the Father for, and my stomach is starting to get used to all the new spices and fried food. I have spent the majority of my days indoors for orienation, but the evenings were free to engage the culture. The Father has already given me the opportunity to share my testimony and story with a few nationals. I even had the chance to talk with them to the Father in the name of JC.

A few experiences:
• I had Baskin Robbins ice cream for the first time
• I saw a Bollywood movie at the theatre (with no subtitles)
• I got henna done on my hand (much cheaper than in the States I might add)
•  visited a mosque
• visited a local gathering of followers of the Way (a very Westernized service, much like RF)
• Ate with no utensils
• Bartered in the market
• played a local stringed instrument...horridly

When I get to my assigned city, I am doing a home stay. This means that I will stay with a national family for one month in order to learn the language and culture faster. I am very excited to see what the Lord has in store!



(I have already taken lots of pictures and hope to be able to post some of them in the future)

1 comment:

In Definition said...

so glad to get updates from you! i'm excited to hear of your adventures:)

laura