Saturday, August 29, 2009

Study Break

I have emerged from my books to get some fresh air and to write this blog. These past few weeks have been filled with reading, reading and more reading. I thought I would have a little lighter semester this fall with taking only 3 classes and working a few less hours, but not so much. Plus, I am taking Elementary Hebrew. My other two classes have to do with family relations and counseling. My counseling class in particular is going to be quite challenging, but in a very good way. We have a semester long project where we pick a struggle in our lives and use God's Word and rely on the Spirit to change us. I have thought of many issues that I could work on, but the Father showed me that many of my past and current issues are rooted in one thing: fear of man. Ouch. I mean, I knew I had people-pleasing tendencies, but didn't realize how much they ruled my life. The Lord has reminded me that sin affects everything I do, even my best motives (Romans 7). By God's grace, however, He will lead me to fear Him rather than man and make me more and more like Jesus Christ. This is the great hope I and all believers can cling too.

It is an absolutely beautiful evening. I just got done soaking it up on long walk...which wound up lasting one hour! I discovered a very picturesque neighbor on my journey and, as a result, a new route for my morning walks. This is a blessing because the last few times I have been out on my usual route, I have come acrossed a few suspicious folks. One guy asked me for a cigarette (I mean, common on, I am in work clothes...does it look like I have cigarettes on me?) and another guy was on a small bike wearing a Halloween mask (Scream, anyone?).

I am going to be an aunt! Now to those of you who know that I have one unmarried sibling, rest assured: Kristi is not having a baby. My cousin and his wife are though, but saying "I am going to be a 2nd cousin!", just doesn't have the same ring to it. Shawn and Megan are due to have a baby girl, Ella Grace, early November and, if you couldn't tell, I am so excited!

As much as I complained above about my school workload, I have found time to hang out with friends and participate in some pretty cool activities. For instance, two Sundays ago was India's Independence Day so I went to a festival celebrating it. It wasn't a mix and mingle atmosphere like I thought, but it was fun and informative nonetheless. My friends and I dressed the part too:

Two more exciting things:
1. Yesterday, I signed up for a language partner from the University of Louisville.
2. Next weekend I am going to visit Sarah in Alabama!
Now, back to my books...

No comments: