Tuesday, March 12, 2013

An Ode to My Mom

Tomorrow is my mom’s birthday and, like I did for my dad a few years back, I wanted to proclaim how thankful I am for her. Her birthday this year seems extra sweet, not because it is a milestone birthday (even though it is, but I don’t think she’d appreciate me saying which one!), but because there was a few days at the end of last year that I thought she wouldn't make it to her next birthday. She was quite literally on death’s door, but the Lord in His kindness and grace has allowed us to keep her, and now I can rejoice with her in another year that God has given her. For every year, every day He gives us is a gift from Him.

My mom has suffered more than anyone I know. She has had rheumatoid arthritis all of my life and half of hers, which has progressively gotten worse, and a whole host of other health problems. When I first read through the Bible back in college and read Romans 8:18, I immediately thought of her:
For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worth comparing with the glory that is to be revealed to us.
And oh what glories await my mother! In the midst of all her pain and discomfort, though, my mom rarely complained. Instead, she quietly served our family by making our lunches, cooking dinner, cleaning the house, doing the laundry, and a whole host of other things that stay-at-home moms do but rarely get recognized for. She took good care of my dad, making sure he always had clean work clothes, packed lunches, and his favorite snacks in the cabinet. When it came to taking care of her family, my mom was selfless and giving.

My mom is also encouraging and supportive. I can’t remember a time when she did not support a goal or dream that me or my sister had. Even now she would prefer me not to go overseas, but she prefers even more that I do what God is calling me to do. You don’t know how important that is to a single woman preparing for a life abroad.

Mom has taught me many things that have been very helpful in my adult life. From her I learned how to cook simple, yet tasty meals. I learned how to take care of a home – how to clean and dust and vacuum and do laundry and do the dishes. Most things in our home had a place and they were expected to be put back in their places after we used them. I never remember my mom complaining once about having to do these things. She didn’t even complain about grocery shopping – something I could learn from! She seemed perfectly content managing the home and raising her daughters. My mom taught me how to wear make-up, but never told me I had to or needed it. She just showed me how to apply it when I became interested in wearing it, which I think she enjoyed. My poor mom didn’t have girly-girls so she didn’t get to do things like that very often, so I know she enjoyed it when she did. Prom was probably a fun time for her. :)

Kristi and me with Mom (not too long after she came home from the hospital)

More recently, I have been able to get a closer look at my mom’s faith. I learned her testimony and we are currently going through 1 Peter together. It’s been cool to see her grow in her faith this past year and to see how God has used the suffering He has allowed in her life to create in her a quiet and gentle spirit that is dependent upon Him (1 Peter 3:4).

Finally, I will leave with this song that I remember my mom singing to Kristi and me when we were young.
Sweep Over My Soul

Sweep over my soul, sweep over my soul
Sweet Spirit, sweep over my soul
My rest is complete when I sit at His feet
Sweet Spirit, sweep over my soul


I love you, Mom, and thank God for you.

No comments: