Sunday, July 31, 2011

A Strange Gift

I wrote this poem earlier this month as a response/summary of the first half of 2011. I am a "freestyle" poet - meaning, I don't follow any rules (not that I even know them). :) My sister informed me that it didn't follow a pentameter, which is the number of syllables per line, so I took up the challenge to correct it. I finally finished this evening. I think I prefer freestyle. :)

Disappointments and bad news
Closed door upon closed door
The silence makes me wonder
What this waiting is for

Day and night I cry to You
Tears are my food to eat
By God's grace I press forward
When I want to retreat

The Lord shuts out my prayers
He has darkened my mind
The pain is overwhelming
Yet I know He's still kind

I look around to see Him
He is hidden from my sight
He bids me to trust in Him
When He takes away the light

I read Job with streams of tears
His words are now my song
With the Psalmist I cry out,
"O Lord Jesus, how long?"

His goodness - beyond measure
His ways, who understands?
He works all things together
According to His plan

Loneliness is His present
And trials are His gift
Yet I know He is sov'reign
When Sat'n has me to sift

This Valley's not forev'r
As His Word has foretold
When His refining work ends,
I shall come out like gold

Jesus will show me the path
One He Himself has trod
"'This is the way walk in it'
And keep your eyes on God"

Soon He will hear my prayer
And bring springs from the sand
As I walk through this desert
Into the Promised Land


The weight of glory shall come
After all this is through
I know that this suffering
Leads me closer to You

Troubles last for a moment
But what reward they bring!
My eyes shall behold my God
And sin shall lose its sting!

No comments: