Monday, July 19, 2010

Week One in the States

I have been home for a little over a week now. My first experience of "culture shock" came in the Newark airport restroom. I forgot that automatic flushing toilets existed and was quite startled when I encountered one. :) For the most part, this past week has been a pretty rough one spiritually and emotionally as I adjust to an entirely different pace of life and struggle to find a nice balance between my life overseas and my life here. To add to this, a good friend and mentor passed away a few days after I returned. I attended a memorial service yesterday where we celebrated his life. After the service, I rear-ended someone. The people I hit and their vehicle (a truck) are fine, but my car received some damage. A fitting end to what had been a rough week...


It hasn't been all bad though. I have been able to see lots of familiar faces at church and a family reunion. Plus my family took me to Scoops - the new frozen custard joint in town - on my first day back. The next day Kristi and I went to Fredericktown's new (and very nice) McDonald's to read God's Word. I have been on lots of walks, enjoying the beautiful countryside of the States. I also watched the final season of LOST. It was as crazy and mind-bending as ever, but I thoroughly enjoyed it...and it provided a nice escape from reality. This morning I went to the much dreaded dentist office. Praise be to God that my gums held their own during my seven month hiatus (I usually go every three months).

No comments: