Sunday, March 29, 2009

Ahh...Reading Days...

So this week is Reading Days at Southern (in other educational circles this is known as Spring Break) and, as usual, I have lofty goals: write three papers and read as much as possible as well as work extra hours. I just just finished one paper. It took me about ten hours (eek!), but I learned so much in the process. This paper is for Church History 2 and we had to write it on a Baptist person or event and how they related to a particular issue in US history. After some research (I don't know my Baptist history!), I decided to write about Luther Rice. He had a passion for sharing the Gospel with the nations and for Lord. He was originally a Congregationalist but converted to the Baptist faith after becoming convinced through prayer and the Scriptures of their position on baptism. In short, God used him to single-handedly unite the Baptist denomination during his time and raise awareness for the needs to share the Gospel outside the US. His ideas are seen today in the SBC and Cooperative Program. I knew nothing about this guy before, but do now! It is ashamed how overshadowed he is by the legendary William Carey and Adoniram Judson. I am so thankful for Rice's work here in the States and for the chance to learn about him!

On a separate note, last Wednesday marked the 8th year since I became a follower of Christ (it also marked the 226th birthday of Luther Rice!). I am been reflecting on His work in my life over these past few days. This morning's sermon, in particular, as stirred my thoughts. At RF, Pastor Andy is preaching a sermon series called the Gifts of Easter. Today's focus was on the Gift of Grace. One of the points of the sermon was that "God's grace is our hope to overcome the past." As he was speaking, the Lord flooded my thoughts with things He has overcome in my past: my near disdain for the church, a sub-clinical eating disorder and my refusal to submit to His right to reign in my life. BUT God has been so gracious in overcoming each of these by: replacing my rejection of His church with an overwhelming love and passion for it; freeing me from my warped views of food and body image; and, most of all, breaking my will so that I would see my utter need for Christ and surrender to His gracious will for my life. These ways along with so many others are how God has chosen to reveal His grace in me. Isn't His grace beautiful?! What is better yet, one glorious Day, His work of grace will be completed in me and I will see Him FACE to FACE! (1 John 3:2, 1 2 Corinthians 3:18, Romans 8:29).
"Grace, grace, God’s grace, Grace that will pardon and cleanse within; Grace, grace, God’s grace, Grace that is greater than all our sin."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rachel, may you and your family have a blessed Easter, and may God's Spirit guide and strengthen you through all of your studies!

One of the criminals who were hanged railed at him,saying, "Are you not the Christ? Save yourself and us!" But the other rebuked him, saying, "Do you not fear God, since you are under the same sentence of condemnation? And we indeed justly, for we are receiving the due reward of our deeds; but this man has done nothing wrong." And he said, "Jesus, remember me when you come into your kingdom." And he said to him, "Truly, I say to you, today you will be with me in Paradise." (Luke 23:39-43)

Adam said...

Nice Christain blog.