Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Connections in the Word :: Abiding

The other day, I had this verse repeating in my head:
I have no greater joy than to hear that my children are walking in the truth. 3 John 4
My friend Anna had posted a picture on Facebook with this verse and for some reason it stayed in my mind. As it kept running through my head, I decided to look up the verse. Even though it is in 3 John, I wound up in 2 John. All by the Lord's providence, no doubt. There is a similar verse that says, "I rejoiced greatly to find some of your children walking in the truth, just as we were commanded by the Father" (2 John 4). As I kept reading, the Apostle John goes on to talk about how believers should love one another and that this love involves keeping the commandments of Jesus Christ (verses 5-6). Those who love Him, obey Him (1 John 5:2). Our obedience to Christ and His commands proves that we are His. Obedience does not earn us favor with God, but it does give evidence of His grace in our lives. John says we are to abide in Christ's teaching (verse 9), which reminds me of these words from Jesus:
Abide in Me and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit by itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in Me. I am the vine; you are the branches. Whoever abides in Me and I in him, he it is that bears much fruit, for apart from Me you can do nothing. If anyone does not abide in Me he is thrown away like a branch and withers; and the branches are gathered, thrown into the fire and burned...By this is My Father is glorified, that you bear much fruit and so prove to be My disciples. John 15:4-6, 8
To abide means to remain, to stay, to continue. The Bible has a lot to say about Christian perseverance and endurance (Hebrews 12:1-17). There are going to be rough times - really rough times - while we are following Christ where we will want to give up. BUT we are to remain steadfast, continue in faithful obedience, push forward in the faith, cling to His promises, fight the good fight (1 Timothy 6:12)...we are to abide in Him.

The Apostle John goes on to warn against false teachers who deny Christ and do not abide in His teachings (verse 7, 9-10). He also warns us believers to "watch ourselves" (verse 8). This admonition is found elsewhere in Scripture:
Brothers, if anyone is caught in any transgression, you who are spiritual should restore him in a spirit of gentleness. Keep watch on yourself, lest you too be tempted. Galatians 6:1
Keep a close watch on yourself and on the teaching. Persist in this, for by so doing you will save both yourself and your hearers. 1 Timothy 4:16
Again, our lives should reflect the teachings of Christ and the only for that to happen is to abide in the teaching of Christ. First Timothy 4:16 exhorts us to watch both our lives and our doctrine. The two should match up. Of course, we will never be able to live what we believe perfectly. We will always fall short on this side of heaven, but God in His grace is continually growing us so that our lives look more and more like Christ (the only One who's life and teaching were perfectly in tune). And for believers, this is our great hope and reward.
Beloved, we are God's children now, and what we will be has not yet appeared; but we know that when [Jesus Christ] appears we shall be like Him, because we shall see Him as He is. 1 John 3:2

No comments: