Thursday, February 17, 2011

The Promise of Spring

Can you be "in love" with weather? Because I think I am. I am so excited for spring that I can hardly stand it. Today, I got off work early and went to one of my favorite places in Louisville - Cherokee Park. It's like a little hint of the country in the city. I was probably a little over zealous to go there since it's still a little chilly (I mean, it is still February), but I was itching to spend time with the Lord Jesus outside. I spent about 45 minutes there until the cool wind got to me. I then headed to Southern's campus (another of my favorite places) to continue reading until Kristi got out of class. I am reading a book called Integrity by Henry Cloud. It has been an enlightening and challenging read and it is really expanding my view of the word integrity. 
Whoever walks in integrity, walks securely,
but he who makes his ways crooked will be found out. Proverbs 10:9
I read today in Dr. Mohler's blog that Borders filed for bankruptcy yesterday and that they are closing 200 stores. I find this news very disheartening. I thoroughly enjoy reading and very much enjoy spending time in bookstores. I would place the Borders on 4th Street downtown as another one of my favorite places to hang out in Louisville. I fear what this means for the future of books in general. Call me old-fashioned, but I am not yet used to the idea - nor do I like the idea - of an electronic book. There is just something about holding a physical book with real pages that adds to the experience of reading.

In my quiet time in the morning, I have been reading through the book of Proverbs. I recently came across this verse:
for by wise guidance you can wage your war,and in the abundance of counselors there is victory. Proverbs 24:6
As I have mentioned several times before, the Lord is teaching me a lot about wisdom - namely, just how limited mine is. Over the past several months, I have had different things come up that required me to diligently search God's Word, seek the Lord in prayer and pursue wise counsel from others. The Lord is so gracious in providing me with (and making me aware of) the "counselors" He has placed in my life. There is a core group of six or seven people that God has used to speak His truth into my life and to steer me on the right path. I am so thankful for these people. They are an incredible blessing in my life and have helped me through some difficult decisions and choices. 

Through all this, the Lord has taught me how to be more open, more trusting, more humble and less independent. It has been a growing experience to say the least, but I am learning to share my burdens with others and express what I think and feel (when appropriate, of course). The wisdom, grace and kindness of the Lord that He so willingly lavishes on His children is so amazing.
But God being rich in mercy, because of the great love with which He loved us, even when we were dead in our trespasses, made us alive together with Christ - by grace you have been saved - and raised us up with Him and seated us with Him in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus, so that in the coming ages He might show the immeasurable riches of His grace in kindness toward us in Christ Jesus. Ephesians 2:4-7

No comments: