Sunday, December 12, 2010

The Weather Outside is Frightful...

but I am as snug as a bug in a rug in my Southern hoodie and fleece NASCAR blanket! The temperature is a little over 20 degrees outside and it has been snowing off and on all day long. 

On Friday, I graduated with my Masters of Divinity of degree. The ceremony was joyful and Christ-exulting. I couldn't help reflecting on all the hard work that I had put into this degree and all that the Lord has taught me during my three and a half years here, which made the event all the more precious. Jesus sustained me and guided me in so many ways and I know that I am a different (and hopefully better) person than when I first came to Louisville. The finality of it all it finally starting to sink it and I am excited to enter the new, school-free phase of my life. :)


With all the assigned reading out of the way, I can now read at my leisure. I just finished the first book on my reading list: 24 Hours that Changed the World by Adam Hamilton. It was a rather disappointing book as it promised more than it delivered. I thought it was going to serve as a  type of devotional book by taking an intense look into the last 24 hours of Jesus' life. The back cover claimed to offer a theological and historical analysis along with "spiritual insight." Instead the book contained more of the author's speculations and opinions more than anything. He had some theological points that I found rather alarming as well. The book, however, wasn't a total loss. Hamilton did bring out some Old Testament parallels with the death and resurrection of Christ that I had never thought about before and made me consider the ways I am like the frightful disciples, betraying Judas and crowd-pleasing Pilate. Overall, I give the book 2 out of 5 stars; although, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.  I am now reading a much better book about prayer, which is proving to be both convicting and encouraging at the same time.

This week will be my first official week of working full-time at Papers Unique. I am really exciting about some of the things we are doing there. We just recently formed a partnership with the local Christian radio station, 93.9 WAY-FM. They just started playing our ad this past week. Also, this week I am going on another radio station to talk about our store and about stationery etiquette as well as to record a 30-second air spot. I am not really excited to be the one doing this but I am excited for the exposure the store will get.

The Lord has been teaching me this semester how limited I am - especially when it comes to wisdom. He has reminded me over and over again that I do not have what it takes to make right decisions and sound judgments BUT He does and He invites me to trust Him. He has been teaching me how to trust Him in deeper ways and how to glean His Word for guidance. There have been several situations that have developed that has caused me realize my short-comings and turn to Christ for guidance, wisdom and discernment. I have no doubt that He will continue to lead and guide me to do His will. Pray that I will not trust in myself but that I will trust in the Lord Jesus Christ.
Trust in the LORD with all your heart,
and do not lean on your own understanding.
In all your ways acknowledge Him,
and He will make straight your paths.
Be not wise in your own eyes;
fear the LORD, and turn away from evil.
It will be healing to your flesh
and refreshment to your bones. Proverbs 3:5-8

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Congrats! Great picture!