Saturday, June 19, 2010

Diminishing Time and a Divided Heart

Yesterday, I completed my final visa run. My time here is winding down faster than I would like to admit. This past week, though, has been rather tiring and discouraging. My visa run, for once, came as a welcome change. My favorite thing about having to leave the country once a month is that it gives me an excellent opportunity to spend time completely alone with Jesus [of course, flying over the Himalayas isn't that bad either :)].


While I was reading a book recently, I came across this quote by Jim Elliot:
Wherever you are, be all there. Live life to the hilt every situation you believe to be the will of God.
These words really stood out to me. Partly because I see them playing out in my own life and partly because I see them not playing out in the lives of others who have recently come here. I believe without a shadow of a doubt that God brought me to serve Him here and, as a result, I have poured all of myself into this place. My fear, however, is that not all of me will return to America. God is preparing my heart to go back to the States (for which I am very thankful) and I know that it is His will for me to do so, but the work He has called me to here and the relationships I have built have captured my heart in a way I cannot explain. But as they always say, "all good things must come to an end," and such is the case for my time here in South Asia. I have two weeks left in this country and three weeks in this region of the world. Pray that I finish well.
But I do not account my life of any value nor as precious to myself, if only I may finish my course and the ministry that I received from the Lord Jesus, to testify to the gospel of the grace of God. Acts 20:24

3 comments:

Julie said...

Rachel, I needed to read this post today! as you know, my time is also coming to a close here.... and my heart has been struggling with the process. Thanks! And know the team is lifting you up for the transition in your life. See you soon... but not TOO soon! ;)

Anonymous said...

Reference for your benefit: There is a great new book out full of Jim Elliot quotable material. "JIM ELLIOT: A Chistian Martyr Speaks to You" edited by Robert Russell. It contains transcriptions of messages Jim Elliot gave before going to the mission field. Incidentally, Russell also wrote an amazingly fantastic book on the will of God.

Rachel said...

Thanks!