Monday, April 5, 2010

My Easter Address: Retain Values Among Pluralism, Tolerance & Relativism

This past weekend proved to be an eventful one with lots of new experiences. On Friday, my teammate and I joined one of our national friends and her family for a trip to the village. It was not as I expected. I expected to visit a hut or something, but her family owns a fairly large home on some land there. The area was beautiful. It was nice to spent time with her family and watch them interact. We played cricket, ate lots of food (which included BBQ chicken), flew a kite, waded through a muddy pond and drank fresh coconut milk (not my favorite).


Saturday, I tried my hand at fried chicken Chick-fil-A style. It was a little salty in my opinion, but my roommates liked it. Later, we all went to Sea World, the local water park (not to be confused with the one with whales and dolphins that is probably coming to your mind). We took a boat to get there. It was interesting wearing a three-piece outfit into the water (like the one above), but lots of fun. Unlike amusement parks in America, this one did not have very many people.



Resurrection Sunday, I rose early and attended the sunrise service with hundreds of other believers. It took place outdoors in a local cemetary (the most beautiful place in this city) and brought believers of different denominations and churches together. Afterward, I attended another service at a local fellowship. Both of these services were in the local language. The before mentioned friend who is Muslim attended the sunrise service with me. I was so excited to have her join me. Later that evening, I attended my regular house church where we shared the Lord's Supper together. The Lord was pleased to overwhelm me with His presence throughout the day as I remembered His sacrificial death on the cross. The most horrendous thing ever done in history is now celebrated by millions of believers as the defining moment of their lives. It will continue to be so through all eternity as we sing about the Lamb Who was slain (Revelation 5:9). Jesus Christ is the one and only "rock upon which are lives are built." Let us remember the "shared spirit of humanity that inhabits us all" for all have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God (Romans 3:23), and look to Christ who was crushed for our sins so that He might make a way for us to be forgiven by God. For there is no other name under heaven given among men by which we must be saved. (quotes, including the title of this post, taken and twisted from http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington/2010-04-03-obama-easter-address_N.htm?csp=34).

Today, we celebrated the resurrection of Christ at the Center (we were closed yesterday). I had the privelege of telling the Passion story, beginning with Christ's Triumphal Entry into Jerusalem and ending with the empty tomb.

I have started memorizing my first Bible story in the local langauge (the story of the bleeding woman). By God's grace, I hope to tell it on Wednesday!

No comments: