Friday, April 16, 2010

Happy New Year (1417)

This past Wednesday was the South Asian New Year (based on the Hindu calendar). My teammate and I made a new friend last week who invited us to spend the day with her. She helped us pick out the appropriate sarees and jewelry over the weekend. When the day arrived, she helped us get dressed in said sarees (which are a little involved). Then we traveled to the major university here to join the festivities. There were lots of people there and many of the women were dressed up in the New Year colors (red and white). There were booths set up with a wide array of items for sale and random parades of men with drums marching through the streets. The day was pretty uncomfortable for me personally, though. My teammate and I were the only foreigners there and we received a lot of unwanted attention. People (mostly men) kept trying to take our pictures or talk to us. It was quite annoying. Our friend, however, is pretty bold and she would either yell at them not take our picture or grab their camera/phone if she didn't catch them in time and delete the picture. She stole one guy's memory card from his phone because she had trouble finding the picture he took on it. :) The highlight of my day was when I got to share the story from the Word that I memorized in the national language. I shared it at the train station (with no small crowd) while waiting on the train and then again with our friend's mother. It is so exciting to be able to share the Word in the local langauge!


Also this week, because of certain events that took place in the slums, two of the girls from the Center came to live with us. We have turned the living room into their bedroom. I think we are all still adjusting (for us, it is mainly the lack of privacy we now have), but I have no doubt that we'll all fall into some kind of rhythm in time. They will definitely be of great assistance in learning the langauge!

No comments: