Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Abounding and Astounding Grace

Today marks the 14th year since God opened my eyes to see the beauty of Jesus Christ and I, as a result, gave my life to Him (full story here). God has yet again arranged my schedule so that I could spend the day with Him. Daniel just “happens” to be away at a conference in St. Louis, so it’s just me and my Lord this afternoon and evening. I am glad God takes notice of these occasions even more than I do. :)
I have come such a long way since God saved me as a 17-year-old, but what I am continually learning is that I never outgrow my need for the gospel of Jesus Christ. I need it daily. His life, death, resurrection, and ascension into heaven give hope and meaning (or at least it should) to everything I am and do. There have been many hard lessons in the last several years, but no matter if my life is peaceful or stormy, all of it is of grace. Jesus has just as much to teach me in the mundane and rocky seasons of life as He does in the sweet and exciting. All are of Him and under His control and all are a gift that are for my ultimate good (Romans 8:28).

I am currently reading a book by Elyse Fitzpatrick called Because He Loves Me. It’s rocking my world. The goal of the book is to help believers practically apply the gospel of Jesus Christ – His life, death, resurrection, and ascension – to their everyday lives. How does the gospel affect me while I’m stuck in traffic, when I’m entering a new situation, when I’m sweeping the floors, when I mess up, when I have a bad dream (as those have been rather frequent)? More often that not, I’m ashamed to say, it doesn’t. I often lose sight of the gospel during those times. I all too often focus on what’s around me instead of on God’s promises, which leads to frustration, complaining, impatience, self-pity, and a host of other sins that spew from my heart.

Yet, what I’m seeing in this book is that the gospel does really intersect our daily living (and it’s meant to). It is not an abstract reality. It’s not a one-time profession of belief. It’s to be remembered and believed daily, moment by moment. And that’s how much I need it: every moment of every day.

So even though I’ve been following Jesus for 14 years, I will never get passed these basic truths: I was a rebellious enemy of God who deserved His punishment, and God requires my sins be punished and He also requires that I be perfect. I am not perfect and could never measure up to God’s perfect standard. God knew this, so in His great love, mercy, and grace, He provided a way. He sent His Son, Jesus Christ, to live the perfect life God required of me and to suffer the punishment that God required of me. Then three days later, God raised Jesus from the dead to show that His sacrificial death was accepted. Jesus then ascended into heaven where He now remains to intercede for those who believe in Him. He did everything. I bring nothing to the table except the sin that nailed Him to the cross.
Nothing in my hand I bring,
Simply to thy Cross I cling. Augustus M. Toplady, “Rock of Ages”
All that He requires of me, of us, is that I (we) believe, which is also from Him.
Jesus answered them, “This is the work of God, that you believe in him whom he has sent.” John 6:29
“The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand; repent and believe in the gospel.” Mark 1:15
Because, if you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. Romans 10:9
For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast. Ephesians 2:8-9
God is so gracious. I am coming out of a spiritually dry season. I was lost, so to speak. I was full of complaining and bitterness and self-pity and had totally lost sight of who God is and what He has done. But God in His grace pulled me up out of this muck and mire and set my feet upon a rock, filling my mouth with praise and heart with joy (Psalm 40:1-3). Jesus has been patiently teaching me about His great love and grace, softening my heart, and showing me His many good gifts that He daily lavishes upon me. The lessons have been sweet of late. Jesus has brought so much healing to my heart in recent months and has been restoring and strengthening my trust in Him. His grace really is astounding.Nothing compares to knowing Him.

No comments: