Saturday, March 24, 2012

The Good Confession

Now when Jesus came into the district of Caesarea Philippi, he asked his disciples, “Who do people say that the Son of Man is?” And they said, “Some say John the Baptist, others say Elijah, and others Jeremiah or one of the prophets.” He said to them, “But who do you say that I am?” Simon Peter replied, “You are the Christ, the Son of the living God.” And Jesus answered him, “Blessed are you, Simon Bar-Jonah! For flesh and blood has not revealed this to you, but my Father who is in heaven. Matthew 16:13-17
Eleven years ago tomorrow, the Lord saved me. He saved me from the wrath of God – the punishment I deserve – He saved me from my sins and He saved me from myself. He still continues to do so. The past few weeks I have seen the worst in myself, reminding me of my great need for Christ. I need Him every day.

Last night at the Chinese Fellowship I regularly attend, we watched the movie Fireproof. The movie powerfully portrayed the message of the gospel and the biblical design for marriage (which is a picture of the gospel, see Ephesians 5:22-33). After the husband in the movie became a follower of Christ and began pursuing the heart of his wife, I could see myself in her. She rejected him. She overlooked the good things he did for her and questioned his goodness. That is the way I have been with God.
    When my soul was embittered,
        when I was pricked in heart,
    I was brutish and ignorant;
       I was like a beast toward you.
    Nevertheless, I am continually with you;
        You hold my right hand. Psalm 73:21-23
But despite my selfish and prideful and ungrateful heart, the Lord did not stop pursuing me and doing good to me. He spoke to me through friends, through books, through sermons and through His Word. He reminded me that He is good to me all the time, even when I don’t understand or feel Him or have any encouragement that He is near whatsoever. In fact, it is probably in those times that He is especially good to me. He never lets go or gives up on His people.
    if we are faithless, He remains faithful—
    for He cannot deny Himself. 2 Timothy 2:13
This is good news! The Lord is faithful to Himself in us. (For more on this idea, read this article.) His faithfulness is not based on our faithfulness, which is more good news for us. God is faithful, as First Corinthians 1:9 and the rest of the Bible declares. He has a grand plan for the world and for each of His children…and it’s not dependent upon us. He is sovereign over all hearts and events and His purposes will be accomplished. There is nothing that I can do to change His constancy or faithfulness. Just like I couldn’t save myself from my sins, I cannot keep God faithful to me. I cannot earn His faithfulness any more than I can earn His favor. It is God who elected, called, chose, saved, sanctifies and keeps me (Romans 8:30; 1 Corinthians 6:11). All Him. I have nothing to do with it whatsoever (because, if I did, I would fail miserably). I don’t deserve any of this favor, but Jesus Christ willingly and freely gives it. He is faithful to His promises. He is faithful to Himself.

Today, He graciously cleared my schedule so that I could spend the majority of the day with Him – praying, confessing, journaling, reading and going on a walk. Just me and Him. It seems that this anniversary didn't slip His notice either. :)

No comments: