Monday, February 6, 2012

Unexpected Provision

I loathe shopping. Absolutely loathe it. Yet it is one of those necessary evils of life. It goes against my value of efficiency and against my priorities. I am so bad that I don’t even work it into my budget. Jesus, of course, knows this, and sometimes He chooses to use shopping to grow my patience and sometimes He chooses to to use shopping as a way to glorify Himself. The latter is what happened recently.

As I mentioned in one of my last posts, my new job required me to get a new wardrobe. Skirts/dresses, dress shoes and pantyhose are the new order of the day. A couple of friends (both of whom are gifts from the Lord) allowed me to borrow some of their skirts to get me through my first couple of weeks. I eventually, though, sucked it up and went to the mall, dreading the time and number of stores I would have to visit in order to get what I needed. I first went to JC Penney’s and, apparently, they have an annual sale this time every year. With the Lord’s provision and kindness, I was able to buy several skirts for between $5 and $7. According to the receipt, I saved $260 (for real?!). AND I didn’t have to go to more than one store! A shopping trip that was efficient, thrifty and successful – definitely a gift from the Lord. I am so thankful that He cares about the little details in our lives and blesses in ways we might not expect (my lack of expecting probably just shows how small my faith is). The experience almost made me like shopping. Almost. :) But it definitely made me praise the Father, who gives me everything I need just as He promises.

Therefore do not be anxious, saying, “What shall we eat?” or “What shall we drink?” or “What shall we wear?” For the Gentiles seek after these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them all. But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things will be added to you. Matthew 6:31-33

1 comment:

Melissa said...

Yay for the Lord's provision - both in the little things and the big things! He is faithful :)